Name Your Price (Recommended: $3)
Linear Notes for “Narwhals Anonymous”
In the booklet it states that all lyrics not included as well as a brief explanation of every song can be found on the myspace but unfortunately I’m just now getting around to it…. sorry. First thing’s first: here’s exactly what’s in the physical booklet:
There are too many people to thank to even try and I know I’d leave some out.. but I’m very quickly going to try even though I just said I wasn’t. Thanks parents for being just the right amount of laid back. Thanks to The Chatty Cathies for being so cool to us and helping us out always. Thanks to HTGT for existing and giving us a place to hang out. Thanks Martins for letting us take your Obama-covered van on an hour’s notice and for helping us put the art for this together. Thanks Pop for giving us a place to practice, sitting through Nick’s antics on car rides, and taking us anywhere we’ve ever asked. We really wouldn’t be able to do half of what we do without you.
Here’s who we are:
Mike – Vox/Trumpet
Johnny – Synth/Vox
Aidan – Guitar
Nick – Bass/Yodels
Chris – Drums
** Sean Tessier played trombone on track 2
** Ross Starks played tenor sax on tracks 2 and 6
I’m not going to try to fit all the lyrics but I just wanted to insert a few lyrics to the song “This is a Serious Song”
<In the actual booklet you can find those here but just look below for lyrics>
Any lyrics we have not included here can be found at www.myspace.com/trustmeimadoctorska
. I’ll put this entire message in addition to a brief story about all the songs and the rest of lyrics as a blog. It’ll also be a note on facebook. Our facebook is linked on our myspace page so please go ‘like us’ there. I know that’s what you kids are into nowadays. The facebook url is kind of long but if you type “Trust Me.. I’m a Doctor” into the facebook search bar, it should come up. Help us out! All TMIAD recordings were written, recorded, mixed, and mastered by TMIAD except where noted.
So that is what you’ll see if you go get the physical cd. You can get that at a show or order it right off our myspace. It’s 19 songs for only $5, check it out. So as promised below are all lyrics from our side of the split as well a little story about each song. I didn’t want to be too detailed with my stories because I don’t care to be “that guy”, but I know I like knowing what songs are about so enjoy.
1. Scott’s a Fascist – This is a song straight up about the worst teacher I’ve ever had. Although I feel like anyone could relate to the song, I thought this guy was actually just a bad person. I get a small amount of pleasure trying to picture his reaction to hearing the song. I feel like it might actually really hurt his feelings.
I hate this class and I hate you as a person
You’re miserable and determined to bring us down with you
You’re pretentious, an assistant on a failing high school team
Anyone who’s ever talked to you knows exactly what I mean
You like silence; you don’t want to hear a word which is dumb
You’re in the business of people
Watch over me to make sure that I mess up
Look where you are; your whole life is a mess up.
You’re crying on the inside ‘cause you’re life is a lie
I don’t care to listen to what you say
I don’t care if you have a degree or what sports you played
I don’t care about a nominative predicate clause
I don’t care. I don’t care at all
Your problem is that you take yourself too seriously
Don’t you want to be liked?
It’s not too late to be happy you are still young but
You act like a grumpy old man with a gun hunting for fun
What’s the matter with free time?
I’d like to know what it feels like
To be so young, living your life alone
Have you ever felt an emotion?
How do you sleep at night?
Why do you get so mad?
Why do we always have to have a list of things to do?
I can think of a list of things I’d like to say to you.. like:
Shave the pubes off your face
When I try to feel bad for you, you make an ass of yourself
Your life is a failure
You’re not in high school anymore
You were taught to be the way your father was
So now you teach everything that ruined your childhood
Even though you still don’t understand
But it’s in the book and that was part of the plan, right?
You don’t know shit, you’re my English coach
And I give you an F in life; your life’s a fucking joke
And I’ll call you out every time
You’re running out of time
2. The Specials Song – This song is about this one time a friend really pissed me off and totally tried to use me. He realized right after he did it too. I don’t like to feel like I’m being taken advantage of. The second verse was Johnny’s political rant that really doesn’t fit, in theory. But I think if you think about my verse more generally, it does. Whatever, the horns sound bad ass.
Look who just walked in it's Santa Claus
Knocking everything over as if he owns the place
That looks awfully familiar, i like that kind of thing
After all that's who i taught myself to be
When a rebel meets a rebel, they become friends
But of course all beginnings have to have an end
Time flies by when you're doing stupid things
Like making other friends and spreading jealousy
There went a couple years and now I know too much
And now i have more fears
Shit happens, people change and we were the same
Half of our fights we had our parents to blame
You know just how to please to whoever you need to please but
You chose to fall back on me
I chose to let you be whatever you wanted to be but
This is how you repay me?
I got eyes in the back of my normal tried stubborn mind
But if normal don't work at least abnormal won't cry
If being your friend tonight means being your bitch I,
Would rather spend it alone... all feelings aside
Sometimes i know i feel alone and flat out abused
But after all these years, you don't even care enough to choose
Sometimes i know i see you make the dumbest mistakes
But i helped you through it all and you're laughing in my face
3. This is a Serious Song – One day I was driving down Burbank near LSU and I saw a bumper sticker that said “I’m already against the next war”. That sticker made me think for weeks. Same night, I ordered one for myself off the internet. That line just really stuck in my head and made me think about things. That was the theme of my brain for at least 3 months, no joke. I don’t think this is intended to be as political of a song as it sounds like when you read the lyrics. I think we think of it as more of “common sense” than politics.
Age doesn't make you wise, it doesn't give you all the answers
A title doesn't prove you right. You can still be backwards
Your teacher, parent, priest they're not always right you know
So we're ---
"TAKING A STAND FOR THE MIDDLE TEENAGE MAN
WE'RE OVERTHROWING THIS NOW FROM NOW ON
WE CONTROL THIS TOWN"
There's too much shit going down with nowhere to hang around
Too many people passing out in front of someone else's house
Too many people telling you what to do in and out of school
Too many people to enforce and not enough to break the rules
You can't listen to the music and not rebel
You can't wear the clothes and be ignorant
You're singing songs calling out who you are
You're supporting causes that you don't even know what they are
This is my call to who you are
My SOS straight to your heart
Although like to not admit, but i've had enough of it
This is a serious song
You're too stuck on trends and far from belief
You don't talk about the war, you focus on your graphic tee
You hate everything about your parents except their views
But it's their views that make them bitches, you’re the ones that said they hated you
You call him racist, misogynist
But OH NO! you got the same guy for president
OH NO! you're a hypocrite
Go talk to your friends at hypocrite's anonymous
He said "I'm already against the next war, we're in the middle of a revolution"
He Said "You're pro-life, pro-lethal injection" He said "At weird at it sounds, we're in the
"Don't be anti-everything, coexist. Don't be a
tough guy, piece shit. Yea, fight for your rights
don't be ignorant. Be your own damn person till the bitter end."
4. Chinese Food and Dippin Dots – I think this is literally the first song we learned to play as a band, possibly the 2nd. There have been so many songs in the history of the band that we just got sick of and stopped playing. Everything we play starts to wear on us eventually. But not this song. This is the exception. This simple little song about a girl has found its way into every set we’ve ever played. It just didn’t seem right to leave it off of the album.
Well Adrienne, I don't fucking care at all
We can go to the show or maybe we can stay all alone
Eating chinese food or dippin dots in your room
I gotta lotta time on my hands and i know that you do too
I know i shouldn't care this much but i'm a
SELF INDULGED VOMIT PRONE PIECE OF SHIT ALL ALONE
At least i cared enough to say.....
I'm starting to feel like you don't want me
You avoid me like the plague and you make me feel so small
Well maybe you're a better person than me
I'd argue but unfortunately i agree
5. Anchorman – Yes, I realize the song is not called Anchorman and has an existence outside of the movie. We titled it anchorman for 2 reasons: 1) We wanted nothing to do with some law suit for stealing a song. 2) It isn’t the original song. It’s the song as done in the movie (with dialogue included). This really wasn’t supposed to be on the album. It’s very important that you know TRUST ME I’M A DOCTOR LOVES ANCHORMAN. One night, it was about 2 AM and we were recording the split. It was just me Johnny and Aidan and we were all really exhausted and weren’t saying much of anything other than anchorman quotes. I finally talked them into giving this a shot. We ended up leaving at 8 in the am, totally dead. Actually, the last time we sing ‘afternoon delight’, all 4 voices are Johnny’s. Aidan and I were too tired to figure out harmonies and we let Johnny take care of it.
6. Spread the Word – This is always a favorite when we do Baton Rouge shows. It’s very catchy and hard not to like. It’s a tad bit repetitive. The song’s about a dying scene.
Nowadays the scene being what it is,
Non-existent, with no evidence to remember what it did
When there’s a show people leave the place to rot
And when they show it’s for bands playing future classic rock (we don’t like that)
There’s venues shutting down straight across the coast
In a dying America when it matters the most
You said punks dying and ska’s been dead?
If you don’t want it to die then listen to what I said
DIY, tell your friends
Just fuck the trends come spread the word
There’s too much shit going down with nowhere to hang around
Man, don’t be absurd
What you wear’s so un-important is what I’ve found
Just show up, yea bring your friends and party down
There’s a jock, a scene kid, and a chick addicted to ice
All skanking the floor, man just high on life
The 4th wave is rolling in and it’s time
Because these people don’t understand that the scene is dying
7. A Rainy Day in Jamaica – I feel like we’ve been writing this song since the very beginning of the band. It started as just another one of Johnny’s chord progressions and then Aidan put his little guitar riff over it and next thing you know we have “the dub song” – which is still what everyone in the band calls it.
Someone take this song off of repeat
We don’t care where it goes, just get rid of this disease
This routine is eating away at my brain
And if it’s all the same to you, we’d like to get away
Your attitude seems to say that things’ll never go our way
I want a change, I want to try new things
I got no one to blame but myself
Well 18’s not too far away but I’m scared of being someone else
Pushed down 1 too many times and this time I’m going to try new things
If I have to cross the whole damn world I will I won’t let my intentions burn in flames
Well, where do we go from here? Who’s to decide? How do we know?
Why don’t we just see where it goes? I won’t give up till I’m all alone.
We’re just the right fit at just the right time.
We’re DIY, we know all the right lines
It’s just a matter of time.
I won’t give up till my life’s on the line
It’s do or die; it’s all or nothing this time
Too much sleep but I’m still awake all the time
Thanks so so so much for helping us! If you’re reading this you’ve helped us. We owe you tons and thank you so much! We’re shooting for a full length album around either Christmas or Summer. But as usual we’ll tour as much as we can.
THANK YOU TONS!